We all know the importance of PAN card, it’s not only an identity proof but an important document for financial transactions and for filing ITRs. And it is not easy to carry PAN card with you always. Therefore, now Indian citizen can get Permanent Account Number (PAN) online.
The Indian Income Tax Department recently introduced the e-PAN card.
The Income Tax Department says in a document that with amendments to clause (C) of subsection (8) of Section 139A of Income Tax Act, 1961 and sub-rule (6) of Rule 114 of the Income Tax Rules, 1962, e-PAN is now valid to get a Permanent Account Number issued.
As per the department, e-PAN is a PAN card with a digital signature and is issued in an electronic format. An individual can get an e-PAN by using Aadhaar e-KYC.
The 15- digit acknowledgement number is generated once the online PAN application is successfully submitted. This number can also be used to keep a tab on e-Filing Portal.
After the increasing in the number of PAN applying applications the income tax department took this step. Point to be noted that it will not be allotted to a person who already holds a PAN.
In simple words, e-PAN is only being issued to individual taxpayers. This facility is free of cost and is available only for a limited period. It will be issued on a first-come-first-serve basis.
e-PAN facility is available for all those who have an Aadhaar number issued by UIDAI and have to file Form 49A for PAN. The process for e-PAN does not involve paperwork and does not have any fee at the moment.
Who can Apply For an e-PAN?
If you have fulfill following criteria, then you can apply for an e-PAN card:
- You must be an Indian resident.
- You must be an Individual taxpayer (i.e. not a company or a HUF).
- You must not already hold a PAN.
- You must have an Aadhaar Card.
- You must have an active mobile phone number linked with your Aadhaar.
- Your Aadhaar must have your updated and correct details
How to apply for an e-PAN card?
Step 1: Visit the UTIITSL PAN online portal to apply for New PAN.
Step 2: While making the application, the applicant has the option to choose between – (i) Both physical PAN Card and e-PAN; (ii) e-PAN only, No physical PAN Card.
If you choose the Physical PAN card then it will be delivered to your address, and if you choose e-PAN card option than the e-PAN will be sent to your registered e-mail.
Step 3: Provide all the details correct as per your Aadhaar Card. The Aadhaar number is verified by UTIITSL immediately. Check the acknowledgement box and click on submit button. Also submitting Aadhaar as Id proof is mandatory.
Step 4: Than once all the details have been entered, the process for application of e-PAN is initiated. After completion of the application, the applicant has to submit the same. To complete the application, the applicant must sign on a blank paper and scan it with the following specifications:
– Resolution: 200 DPI – Type: Color – File Type: JPEG – Size: 10 KB (Max) – Dimensions: 2 cm x 4.5 cm
Step 5: Thereafter, post attaching the scanned copy, the electronic application is complete. You will receive a 15-digit acknowledgement number on your email ID or mobile number mentioned on your application. Once the e-PAN has been allotted, you will receive an alert by SMS or email.
Step 6: At last to check the status of your e-PAN application, follow the link and Check the Application Status by feeding in the application (coupon) number.
Instant PAN via Aadhaar based e-KYC – How to apply
- You must require to access the e-filing website of the Income Tax Department to provide your valid Aadhaar number for an instant PAN.
- Then submit the OTP received on your Aadhaar registered mobile number.
- On successful completion of this process, a 15-digit acknowledgment number is generated.
- Thereafter, you can check the status of the request anytime by providing your valid Aadhaar number and on successful allotment, can download the e-PAN.
- The e-PAN is also sent to you one your email id, if it’s registered with Aadhaar.
Who already have a PAN card, can apply for a paid facility to download their e-PAN Card.