The EPFO (Employee Provident Fund Organisation) allot a 12 digit account number to every employer and employee who has contributed to EPF. And this account number called UAN or Universal Account Number.
This number is issued by the Ministry of Employment and Labour under the Government of India.
In other words, this account number is a unique identification number that helps both employer and employee to keep their information regarding money or assets and keep them safe.
In also addition, when an employee switches their job, every time EPFO allot a new member identification number (ID), which is linked to the UAN.
The UAN remains the same throughout the whole life of an employee.
How to know Universal Account Number
1. From Employer: Generally, as per the EPFO, an employer allot UAN to its employee. And some employers print the UAN number in the salary slips.
2. Through UAN Portal: If an employee is unable to get its UAN from the employer. In that case, the employee can get its UAN via UAN portal by follow the below steps:
Step 1: Go the UAN Portal.
Step 2: Click on the tab ‘Know your UAN Status’. The following page will appear.
Step 3: Select your state and EPFO office from the dropdown menu and enter your PF number/member ID/Aadhar/PAN along with the other details such as name, date of birth, mobile no, and captcha code. An employee can get the PF number/member ID from its salary slip. Enter the tab ‘Get Authorization Pin.’
Step 4: The employee will receive a PIN on its mobile number. Enter the PIN and click on the ‘Validate OTP and get UAN’ button.
Step 5: The UAN will be sent to the employee’s mobile number.
Documents required to open a UAN
Every Employee needs the following documents to get a UAN:
- Bank account info such as account number, IFSC code, and branch name.
- ID proofs like any photo-affixed, driving license, passport, voter ID, Aadhaar, and SSLC Book.
- Address proof such as the latest utility bill with employee name, rental/lease agreement, ration card/ DL/Aadhar/Voter Card.
- PAN card: The PAN should be linked to the UAN.
- Aadhaar card: Since Aadhaar is linked to the bank account and mobile number, it is mandatory.
- ESIC (Employees’ State Insurance Corporation) card.
Benefits of UAN
- The UAN helps EPFO to centralize employee data in the country.
- The UAN helps the EPFO in tracking the change in the job of the employee.
- UAN facilities can be accessed online making withdrawals and transfers easy when one changes his/her job.
- The UAN also ensures that all PF accounts of the employee are genuine.
- It brings down the burden of employee verification from companies and employers by EPF organization.
UAN advantages to employees
- Every new PF account with a new job will come under a single unified account.
- With the help of this number it is easier to withdraw (fully or partially) PF online.
- With the help of this number, the employee himself can transfer the Provident fund balance from old to new.
- By using this UAN an employee can download its PF account statement anytime.
- It is easier for employees to ensure that their employer is regularly depositing their contribution to the PF account.
- UAN ensures that employers can’t access or withhold the PF money of their employees.